Savings rate challenge results – June 2020 and overall year

Well, this is it! My twelve months is up - achievement unlocked! This process I've followed of running a proper budget and tracking everything I spend has been a really interesting, if sometimes tedious, exercise. It's certainly brought sharply into focus those areas where I knew I was probably wasting quite a bit of money … Continue reading Savings rate challenge results – June 2020 and overall year

Savings rate challenge results – May 2020

Eleven months down, one to go! Finally, as mentioned in April's savings rate challenge post, I hit one of my financial goals in early May - I now have 6 months' full pay saved in my emergency fund! Boy, it's nice to hit this one. It's interesting how achieving a goal like this significantly reduces … Continue reading Savings rate challenge results – May 2020

Savings rate challenge results – March 2020

Nine months down, three to go - I'm hitting the home stretch! Well, March is just a sea of red when I look at the variance sheet in my spreadsheet. Every expenditure category is over budget (although, to be fair, there are some line items that have no specified budgeted figure because they're so ad … Continue reading Savings rate challenge results – March 2020

Savings rate challenge results – October 2019

Four months down, eight to go. This month's savings rate was 37.81% from planned savings, plus 1.08% net cash flow, for a total of 38.89%. The categories where spending was over budget were Car, Personal, Pet and Discretionary. While I had budgeted for the car service that was due, it didn't take into account replacing … Continue reading Savings rate challenge results – October 2019